Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vroom Vroom (a whole lot of car stuff)

I married a gear head. I knew this and knowingly made the decision to commit my life to him. A man who'd rather spend a Saturday in the garage than at the mall, who makes me help him bleed his breaks, who has taken over our entire garage with parts and tools and cars and who had an engine in the middle of his bachelor apartment kitchen. I never saw myself ending up with a car guy!

But sometimes I do indulge him his wildest fantasies - a museum full of classic and famous cars. Ooh yeah, baby! So for Father's Day, I surprised him with a trip to the Volo Auto Museum to check out over 300 classic cars and a bunch of cars that were in tv and movies. Don't tell him I said this, but it was pretty cool, even for me. The cars were for sale but I somehow got him out of there without buying a few.

Here are a few of the most notable cars we saw:

The car from the Flintstones movie

From the movie Cat in The Hat
Even Barrett got in on the action, climbing in Michael Andretti's Indy 500 race car. He refused to get out and cried when we pulled him out. Uh oh.
Dukes of Hazzard car
The car from the famous Chicago movie The Blues Brothers
And the Ghostbusters car
If you don't know what car this is, you obviously didn't grow up in the 1980s

and the flux capacitor!Batmobile
Kitt from Knight Rider (we did not hear it talk though)
And the car that corners like it's on rails...the Lotus Esprit. This is probably one car even the ladies know

Seeing all these cars got Barrett in the mood for 4 wheels of his own. Watch out pedestrians, Barrett's behind the wheel! Just kidding. I obviously won't let him behind the wheel until he's 46. You better get used to the passenger's seat, kiddo.

checking out his brand new car for the first time
he immediately knew what to do with the steering wheel and I love the intense expression on his face
okay, he *may* have gotten this particular driving move from me, but there's no way to prove it!
Do we have another happy little gearhead on our hands?? Will I lose another one to the lure of motor oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment